|The History of Clay County
The county was named for Henry Clay a Senator from Kentucky.
Clay County was created on December 31st 1858 with Middleburg being named the county seat until 1859 when residents voted Whitesville the new county seat. Green Cove Springs was named the county seat in 1871 where it remains today.
|Hibernia (Fleming Island)||Penny Farms||Camp Blanding|
Contact the Historic Society at (904) 284-9644
Clay County Historical Society P.O. Box 1202 Green Cove Springs, FL 32043