map
logo



Home Page
Events
Membership
Museum
Current Officers
Volunteer Opportunities
Recommended Reading
Links
The History of Clay County

henry clay
The county was named for Henry Clay a Senator from Kentucky.

Clay County was  created on December 31st 1858  with Middleburg being named the county seat until 1859 when residents voted Whitesville the new county seat.   Green Cove Springs was named the county seat in 1871 where it remains today.
Green Cove Springs








Orange Park








Middleburg  
was originally known as Gary's Ferry and was once known as Whitesville.  Middleburg is considered the second oldest settlement in the United States - St. Augustine being the oldest.  The settlement officially became known as Middleburg  on September 8, 1883.   The  oldest home in Clay County is located in Middleburg.  The Clark -Chalker House was built in 1835 for Captain Clark, his staff and officers which were stationed at Fort Heilman.
Keystone Heights







Hibernia (Fleming Island) Penny Farms Camp Blanding



Contact the Historic Society at (904) 284-9644
Clay County Historical Society       P.O. Box 1202      Green Cove Springs, FL 32043